[support] Updating Themes and modules in Drupal 7x

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Fri Aug 19 12:29:17 UTC 2011

When I try Drupal 7 to update a theme of module it wants the username
and password of my FTP. Why?
Lately if I use drush up for modules Drupal 7 breaks and has to be
reinstalled.

How do I tell it the FTP of my home pc when I am using home pc?

What FTP details does it need to update themes and modules on a remote
server? Mine or the secure ones for the server of some login detail for
Drupal.org
I see no reason to use username and passwords when it clearly states
that it is a breach of security?

Anyway, is the any way to securely use the update process in Drupal 7?
I haven't found a tutorial that discusses this in detail and gives
precise methods to use the update tool.

Can someone help please
thanks
Roger