[support] Google Analytics Module with subdomains

Broyhill, Gary Gary.Broyhill at lr.edu
Fri Dec 16 20:40:43 UTC 2011

I have a main domain, www.site.edu and 85 subdomains (intranet.site.edu,
faculty.site.edu, etc.). I am tracking the main domain and all subdomains
on one report in GA using a single Web Property ID (UA-123456789-1)

For the main domain, I set the the Google Analytics module as follows:

Web Property ID: UA-123456789-1
What domains are you tracking? One domain with multiple sub-domains.
In the Advanced Settings/Javascript snippets, I added the following in the
Code Snippet (before) box:
var _gaq = _gaq || [];
  _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-123456789-1']);
  _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', '.site.edu']);

For the sub-domains, I set the Google Analytics module as follows:

Web Property ID: UA-123456789-1
What domains are you tracking? A single domain.
In the Advanced Settings/Javascript snippets, I added the following in the
Code Snippet (before) box, per info obtained on the Google Analytics help
pages:
var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-123456789-1']);
_gaq.push(['_setDomainName', '.site.edu']);

This all seems to work ok, except the following problem: on my GA Top
Content report, I cannot tell where the hits came from. Example: my 24th
highest entry is listed as \program.   That node appears on many of my
subdomains. Is it aggregating every instance of \program across 85
subdomains into one metric? If you click on it in the report, it gives a
404 error.

If I go to the Content by Title view, it's a little better because I can
see the names of the pages.

I am wondering if I have everything set up correctly. If you are whiz at
GA/Drupal and can tell if my settings are wrong, please let me know! They
came about from much trial and error and digging through the GA help pages.

Thanks!

Gary Broyhill
Lenoir-Rhyne University
www.lr.edu