[support] Best Way to Handle Event Content Type(s) for Handling both time bound and "all day"

Luke drupal at lists.tacticus.com
Fri Feb 11 22:55:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Shai Gluskin wrote:

> Assuming that there is no "all day" checkbox AND that I don't want to ask
> users to manually enter "12:00am", I have two choices:
>  1. Create a second content type "All day event", use the same field, but
>     use the all day input format on one and a format that allows for time
>     entry on the other.
>  2. Keep only one content-type, "Event" and add a second field to it, "All
>     day event"
> As I write this I'm thinking that #1 is a much better choice. Though I hate
> having too many content types, it just seems so much clearer for the end
> user. And they truly are different types. In option #2, there are two
> available fields, and the end user has to pick the right one and skip the
> other; one will always be empty. That doesn't seem like good information
> architecture. And I can imagine instances that would be quite problematic in
> Views if I want to combine timed and all day events in the same View.

If 12:00 AM is an acceptable time, why not add the checkbox to the normal
type, and either in JS or on the back end, cause types with that box
checked to enter that as the time.  You could even probably use script to
hide the time fields if the all day checkbox is selected.

I would prefer option 2 in any case, although I don't know of your views
environment, and am far from any expert.

Luke