[support] Best Way to Handle Event Content Type(s) for Handling both time bound and "all day"

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Fri Feb 11 21:09:22 UTC 2011

Supportive Drupallers,

I'm building a calendar for a client in D6. Some of the events are "all day"
(though I add a theme function override to make the "All Day" disappear).
Some of the events have beginning times and no end times, and other events
have beginning and end times.

I could simply use one content type and one field. I would have to *instruct
users* to put "12:00 AM" for the start time and leave the end time blank.

But frankly, that is a horrible user experience. For entering dates *without
times*, I desire to use the input format which only offers a date for data
entry; no time field is available. (Why isn't there an input format that has
a checkbox for "all day." Didn't the old event module have that? Am I
missing something?)

Assuming that there is no "all day" checkbox AND that I don't want to ask
users to manually enter "12:00am", I have two choices:

   1. Create a *second content type* "All day event", use the *same field, *but
   use the all day input format on one and a format that allows for time entry
   on the other.
   2. Keep only *one content-type*, "Event" and add a second field to it,
   "All day event"

As I write this I'm thinking that #1 is a much better choice. Though I hate
having too many content types, it just seems so much clearer for the end
user. And they truly are different types. In option #2, there are two
available fields, and the end user has to pick the right one and skip the
other; one will always be empty. That doesn't seem like good information
architecture. And I can imagine instances that would be quite problematic in
Views if I want to combine timed and all day events in the same View.

Am I correct? Two content types with one field is best for my requirements?

Am I missing the "check if all day event" functionality that I'm somehow
blind to.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shai