[support] Help with Views

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Thu Feb 17 13:57:52 UTC 2011

Hi Adam (and all...),

I think you are confusing nodes and views. Drupal contributes to that
confusion because Views doesn't ship with Drupal, but the default home page
is a kind of built-in/hard-coded view that you can't edit.

Is this the page you want to have updates added to?
http://www.jsjenks.org/?q=content/hsa-administration.

Many ways you can do this, but here is one:

   1. Create a new view called "Administration news"
   2. Add a "block" display to it.
   3. Row style: fields
   4. Go to fields section and add (+)
   5. Choose Title, and then delete the label for it
   6. Filter: you have to make the view only select the admin news. You need
   to use taxonomy or a node type or something else so that the view only pulls
   what you want it to pull
   7. Filter: node => published => yes (you need to make sure draft articles
   aren't displayed... views doesn't do this by default, you have to set a
   filter)
   8. Go to administer blocks at: admin/build/block/list (make sure you are
   administering the blocks for the active theme)
   9. Find the block you just created using views in the "Disabled" section
   10. Move it to the left sidebar and click save changes at bottom
   11. Click on "configure" for that same block on the blocks admin page
   12. Make the choice, "Show on only the listed pages" and paste in
   "content/hsa-administration" or maybe "?q=content/hsa-administration" (I use
   clean URLs ALWAYS, and you should too!, [?])

Variations are you could put the block in "content bottom" and use "teasers"
in the "node" "row style". But then the node content for that page should be
shorter or people won't see the new stuff.

Or you could get rid of that node all together and assign the a View "Page"
to that same path. Any introductory text you could poot in the view
"header".

Good luck,

Shai