[support] Drupal 7: inline images with wysiwyg

Jeff jeff at wildcoast.com
Mon Feb 28 20:09:44 UTC 2011

On 28 Feb 2011, at 8:59 PM, Metzler, David wrote:

> If you want them to upload a single image that you then theme then I
> use
> image_field for that.

Yep, that's what I got, but am also allowing 'multiple'  uploads.

I just found a module called insert, which is pretty close to the
simplicity I'm looking for. At first I thought it didn't work: when
you insert the image_field you've just uploaded, it displays twice.
But you can control that in Content Type - Manage Display. w00t!

> IF you want them to embed an image into their content then I generally
> use IMCE, which can be configured to create separate directories for
> each user so that they can see their own images.  You can also
> configure
> different image repositories for roles.

Yep, been caught out on that one too, when migrating from image.module
to CCK and imagefield in D6 and the user's nodes lost access to their
image directories.

Thing is, apart from some arcane academic use-case scenario, 99.9% of
users really don't need to have their own directory. Ever. They need
to upload a photo, size and place it in wysiwyg, and that's all.

I know private user directories is a configurable option in IMCE, but
the front-end is clunky and unnecessary IMHO (and somewhat ignorant
opinion).

> I to tried image_assist and img_assist but started changing strategies
> in D6.  Looks like IMCE has a stable release allready for d7.

I'm sorry, but I just don't like it. The insert module is close, but
it should be integrated into the file_ / image_field upload so that
you don't have to click on [Insert].

That's probably trivial for someone who knows PHP.

Anyone got a hint for how to automatically invoke the Insert module on
image_field Upload?

Thanks for the input!