[support] Building website with POI (Points of Interests)

Afan Pasalic afan at afan.net
Fri Jan 21 15:08:35 UTC 2011

Hi,
I'm building a website about Route 66, for my own needs. Probably will
not go public.

I made page (as in content type) for each State (8) Route 66 going
through. These pages will probably not have any content. More for Menu
purpose only.
Similar, I plan to make a page (content type) for each city. Menu links
of these pages are actually sub-primary menu links:

Primary menu:
* Illinois
    > Chicago
    > Cicero
    > Joliet
* Missouri
    > St. Louis
    > Springfield

City pages will probably not have any content either.

Now comes the pain: I have to start building POI (Points Of Interests).
POI has to have Name, Address, City, State, Description. Geo Coordinates
(Longitude & Latitude) - if known. I was thinking to create a content
type for each city and that way "group" POIs, but something's tellig me
it's not good idea.
I know it's possible to create web form (I know there is module for
webform) to enter POI but never used it and I'm not quite sure how can I
group these entries by city?

Also, I have to be able create something like Photo album about each POI
to add any picture I found interesting about this POI (download fro
Internet and upload to my Drupal site) and comment the picture. I need
ability to "update" POI with new information (text) but it could be as
a Comment on POI.

I'm new in Drupal and I need help what directions I have to take? Which
modules I need to use here...
Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Afan