[support] Report from an arbitrary database

prothero prothero at geol.ucsb.edu
Sun Jan 30 20:56:21 UTC 2011

I have an online application for which I will sell various forms of a
license to use it. An individual can purchase a license for $xx, or a
license for some number of users at $yy, for a high school or college
class. What is the best way to set this up?

I need to keep track of the number of individual users that access a
particular license and limit users to the number that was purchased. A
person/teacher could buy a license and get a license code delivered by
email. The license code would be distributed to students, who would
log in to a "Class" and get access to the page with the application,
if they enter the correct license code. I would need to also get some
identifier from the student, like her email address and name. I'd like
to avoid having a large number of individual student accounts, so
perhaps there would be only one account per class. All students would
log in to the "class" account. Even nicer, the teacher who buys the
license would get an automatic account created, with name of the class
as the user and license code as the password. The student would then
have to enter an email address to get to the application page, if the
student has previously logged in, or if the number of licenses had not
been exceeded.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of modules or techniques that would
support this need. I'm not a module developer, so pre-built modules
are preferable. But, I'm not afraid of using jQuery to do some of the
specialized code.

Thanks for any ideas. I use Drupal 6.20
Bill

William A. Prothero