[support] Taxonomy view for certain terms

Luke drupal at lists.tacticus.com
Thu Jul 14 06:41:18 UTC 2011

Hello

I think I need a view for this, but several attempts to make one that
would do it failed a few months ago, so I thought I'd ask here to see if
there is a D6 module which will get me there.  I couldn't find one that
looked right in searching, but that doesn't mean anything.

I have nodes of several types.
Products
X Products
Y Products
Z Products

Every (X, Y, Z) product, no matter what other CCK fields or attributes it
has, includes a computed field containing a hex color.

Every (X, Y, Z) product, is in one of several categories.  E.G.:

Xes -> Type 1 Xes (100 nodes)
Xes -> Type 2 Xes (75 nodes)
Ys -> First Size of Yes (50 nodes)

For each type plus category combination, I need to show a table of all of
those nodes.

Specifically, I need to show a color table.

Little blocks of color (representable in HTML as a span with a colored
background, probably), clickable to get to the node's page.  Either that,
or clickable to add the node to the UC Cart, without going to the node's
page.
(If there's a module for that aspect, I don't know of it.)

I don't want the customer to ever see a listing of products in that term,
without seeing them represented in that way (I.E. the normal
catalog/TID should go to this view or module).

However, for products not in one of those categories, the standard
catalog/tid view (I.E. the UC Catalog view) should be shown.

There are many tens of subcategories here, and I'd really rather not
maintain a separate view display for each of them.
Plus, more could be added by unskilled users later.

So, to put it all another way:

I need to have a custom view which only takes over for the regular term
view, if that term is one of a non-consecutive set.

Alternatively, it could only kick in, if the term is a child of another
specific term.  That would be simpler, but I have no idea how to make it
happen.
E.G. if user goes to catalog/722, and 722 (Type 1 Xes), happens to be a
child of 32 (Xes), the view will take over.

Can this be done with standard views, or do I need to get a custom module
to pull it off?

Thanks for any pointers.

Luke