[support] support Digest, Vol 103, Issue 47

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Fri Jul 15 00:27:07 UTC 2011

>> Hi all
>> I have a hd with ubuntu 11.04 server installed.
>> I followed the instructions to install Aegir on the server but it
>> gives
>> errors at the end of the install.
>> Google tells of others experiencing the same errors but gives no
>> resolution.
>>

> What errors?

--Errors are:

Project drush-make contains no modules

dpkg: error processing aegir-hostmaster (--configure)

Subprocess installed post installatiom script returned error exit status 1

Package aegir-hostmaster not configured yet

Dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Errors were encountered while processing

aegir --  hostmaster

aegir

subprocess /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code(1)

>> I installed firefox on the server but think it won't work unless there
>> is a windows manager of some sort.
>> What is the smallest windows manager required to run firefox on a
>> server and what else should be installed.
>>
> I haven't tried it on Ubuntu, but Xfce is lightweight. I imagine "apt-
> get install xfce" should pick up any dependencies required.
>
> But why does it have to be "the smallest"?
> ---Small capacity very old hard drive purely for learning purposes and
> it's the same size as the server allocation.

My system is:
---I have a 40 gig hard drive set up in my pc with ubuntu 11 server so
that I can learn what to do on the real server

---I have  another hard drive with Ubuntu 11 desktop that is used for
day to day work, I don't want to do anything that could stuff up files
on this drive, did that once, don't wish to do it again.
It has Drupal 6.22 and Drupal 7.4 whach are used for dev of the site I'm
working on.

---I have another hard drive with Fedora 14 which I use for
experimentation.
It also has Drupal 6.22 and Drupal 7.4 so that I can experiment without
upsetting the ubuntu system.
There is no aegir install for Fedora 14 that I have found.

The other sysadmin wants to use Ubuntu on the server

Can someone please point me to an Aegir tutorial or script that actually
does install properly

Try look around http://community.aegirproject.org/

--- This is where I got the original install script that simply does not
work, they reccomend to use apt-get install drush then apt-get install
aegir on a vanilla server install -- this is where I am at for now. I'm
on my 3rd learning attempt - this is all very new for me
I'll go investigate further but find that much of the information out
there dates back to 2007/8, there seems to be very little that is modern
and accurate.

> Are the server and the desktop OSs on the same PC? If so, then do what
> Luke said. Or just mount the hard drive and work on it...?
>
> Or you could just install mysql and apache on your current Ubuntu
> desktop, and try to install Aegir there.
>
> ---I did try that originally but got the same errors so removed everything
>

> If the server is on a separate PC, you could install Xfce as well as
> vncserver to accesss it remotely. Or you could obviously just ssh in
> to "work on the server hard drive".

I've heard about ssh. How do I ssh into a hard drive on the same pc:

I'am very grateful for the help and hand holding, I'm way out of my
depth here
Thanks
Roger