[support] Linux/Drupal/Aegir (was Re: support Digest, Vol 103, Issue 47)

Jeff jeff at wildcoast.com
Fri Jul 15 06:44:17 UTC 2011

Hi Roger,

You're still not being very clear about your actual setup, but I
understand how difficult it can be to articulate questions that you
don't even know you need to ask. ;-)

On 15 Jul 2011, at 2:27 AM, Roger wrote:

>>> Hi all
>>> I have a hd with ubuntu 11.04 server installed.
>>> I followed the instructions to install Aegir on the server but it
>>> gives
>>> errors at the end of the install.
>>> Google tells of others experiencing the same errors but gives no
>>> resolution.
>>>

>> What errors?
>>
> --Errors are:
>
> Project drush-make contains no modules
>
> dpkg: error processing aegir-hostmaster (--configure)
>
> Subprocess installed post installatiom script returned error exit
> status 1
>
> Package aegir-hostmaster not configured yet
>
> Dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>
> Errors were encountered while processing
>
> aegir --  hostmaster
>
> aegir
>
> subprocess /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code(1)

I'm afraid I can't help you there. TBH I had a similar error when
trying to install Drush myself, but gave up on it and haven't had the
time or inclination to solve it yet.

It seems to me that you're attempting too many learning curves at
once, though. Aegir will be a 'nice to have' once you have a few dozen
sites to maintain, no doubt, but you need to focus on getting the
servers setup correctly first. Then Drush, then Aegir.

>>> I installed firefox on the server but think it won't work unless
>>> there
>>> is a windows manager of some sort.
>>> What is the smallest windows manager required to run firefox on a
>>> server and what else should be installed.
>>>
>> I haven't tried it on Ubuntu, but Xfce is lightweight. I imagine
>> "apt-
>> get install xfce" should pick up any dependencies required.
>>
>> But why does it have to be "the smallest"?

>> ---Small capacity very old hard drive purely for learning purposes
>> and
>> it's the same size as the server allocation.
>>
> My system is:
> ---I have a 40 gig hard drive set up in my pc with ubuntu 11 server so
> that I can learn what to do on the real server

The server-guide at https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/serverguide/C/serverguide.pdf
  is very comprehensive.

> ---I have  another hard drive with Ubuntu 11 desktop that is used for
> day to day work, I don't want to do anything that could stuff up files
> on this drive, did that once, don't wish to do it again.
> It has Drupal 6.22 and Drupal 7.4 whach are used for dev of the site
> I'm
> working on.

Rather use that 40Gb hd for backups and learn how to make snapshots
and rollbacks so you can't stuff up anything. :-)

The differences between Server & Desktop are insignificant, really.
You can as comfortably run everything you need on the Desktop version,
and just as comfortably use the server guide documentation.

The only real differences are the server installation comes with the
AMP stack plus mail servers, etc. on the distro, whereas the desktop
version comes with apps and a windowing system.

Also the RAID and LVM setup options are more readily accessible on the
server installation.

If you want to have the best of both worlds, and learn how to do
everything properly, start with a fresh server installation (using the
guide), then just 'apt-get install ubuntu-desktop' on top of it. Or
just install AMP on the desktop. (Which you must have done already if
it's got Drupal running on it.)

Otherwise you could use virtualbox and turn the 40Gb hd's current
server installation into a virtual machine running under your current
desktop. Presuming you're not running a mail server with spamassassin
and amavis, etc. it doesn't need much memory. 512Mb would do
comfortably. And, BTW, 40Gb is plenty of space to run server and full
desktop.

But you really don't need both - unless you have a dedicated server PC
- so you're just adding needless complexity by having both on the same
computer.

> ---I have another hard drive with Fedora 14 which I use for
> experimentation.
> It also has Drupal 6.22 and Drupal 7.4 so that I can experiment
> without
> upsetting the ubuntu system.
> There is no aegir install for Fedora 14 that I have found.
>
> The other sysadmin wants to use Ubuntu on the server

Um, how many PCs do you have? If this is in a work environment, rather
setup the server on another machine.

> Can someone please point me to an Aegir tutorial or script that
> actually
> does install properly
>
> Try look around http://community.aegirproject.org/
>
> --- This is where I got the original install script that simply does
> not
> work, they reccomend to use apt-get install drush then apt-get install
> aegir on a vanilla server install -- this is where I am at for now.
> I'm
> on my 3rd learning attempt - this is all very new for me
> I'll go investigate further but find that much of the information out
> there dates back to 2007/8, there seems to be very little that is
> modern
> and accurate.
>
>> Are the server and the desktop OSs on the same PC? If so, then do
>> what
>> Luke said. Or just mount the hard drive and work on it...?
>>
>> Or you could just install mysql and apache on your current Ubuntu
>> desktop, and try to install Aegir there.
>>
>> ---I did try that originally but got the same errors so removed
>> everything
>>

>> If the server is on a separate PC, you could install Xfce as well as
>> vncserver to accesss it remotely. Or you could obviously just ssh in
>> to "work on the server hard drive".
>>
> I've heard about ssh. How do I ssh into a hard drive on the same pc:

First you'd have to get it running under virtualbox. Then you're going
to have one more major learning curve to bridge the networks if you're
running the server inside virtualbox. :-)

On Ubuntu server, sshd comes pre-installed. On the desktop you would
need to 'apt-get install openssh-server'.

Check the server guide (Remote Administration) for more info and how
to setup keys, etc.

And you can use putty.exe to ssh in from a Windows PC.

> I'am very grateful for the help and hand holding, I'm way out of my
> depth here
> Thanks

NP. Just re-think your strategy a little, okay? And this isn't the
right forum, but you can email me directly for help with Ubuntu.