[support] https and htaccess

R. Alter drupalon at holonananda.org
Sun Jul 24 21:08:28 UTC 2011

Hi,

(I apologize if this comes through twice, the first time didn't show up
in the list. This is my first time contributing and maybe I didn't wait
long enough or something.)

Two things. First about the www since you may have solved the rest, and
then what Apache says about .htaccess. I assume you are using Apache and
have a Virtual Private Server hosting account.

1) Do you have something like the following in your httpd.conf file? The
first part should take care or you www access problem and the second
part changes http requests into https requests.

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName yourdomain.com
    ServerAlias www.yourdomain.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html
### next 3 lines change http access to https ###
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.yourdomain.com$1 [R=301,L]
</VirtualHost>

2) I would put the above in your httpd.conf file instead of .htaccess.
The reason for this is explained in the Apache documentation at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/htaccess.html in the *When
(not) to use .htaccess files* section. Part is quoted below, but there
is more:

"In general, you should never use |.htaccess| files unless you don't
have access to the main server configuration file. There is, for
example, a prevailing misconception that user authentication should
always be done in |.htaccess| files. This is simply not the case. You
can put user authentication configurations in the main server
configuration, and this is, in fact, the preferred way to do things."

I hope this helps and that I have not misunderstood your problem.

Robert Alter