[support] Drupal 7 installation on Win2k3 R2 SP2 fully patched - no joy

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jul 25 18:44:55 UTC 2011

Kurt Buff wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:35, Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> Kurt Buff wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Just joined the list - I've been tasked with installing this for and
>>> evaluation against DNN with the winner being selected for both our
>>> internal and external web presence.
>>>
>>> I followed the directions at http://drupal.org/node/1130898 on a fresh
>>> VM from scratch, as noted in the subject line. The only variance I
>>> introduced in the install process is that I installed SQL Server
>>> Express 2008 R2 beforehand.
>>>

>> While it is likely possible SQL Server please note that MySql is the
>> stronger suit since that is what has been extensively tested.
>
> Yah - I knew that, but there's a preference here for IIS/MSSQL, since
> that's the strength of the IT staff.

I would argue that the strength of an IT staff is its ability to learn
new things and not what it knows already.  I would make the pitch toward
Apache/MySql/PHP for Windows (WAMP) server.  I'm no server guru and
managed to set up my first site in less than a day and that wasn't even
Drupal.

>>> However, when I visit http://localhost/DrupalTest on the machine, I
>>> get a 404 error. Nothing I've tried seems to work, including an
>>> explicit browse to http://localhost/DrupalTest/install.php, stopping
>>> and starting both the web site and the w3svc, among other things.
>>>
>>> I don't see anything in the event logs showing installation errors,
>>> and my my google-fu may be weak, because I'm turning up nothing in my
>>> searches on teh intarwebs. I also checked the web log, and it shows a
>>> 404 for the attempts as well.
>>>
>>> The only things that I note that might provide clues (I'm not an IIS
>>> guru) are that:
>>>

>> Can you get a phpinfo() script to run on the server?
>>
>> <script name="pinfo.php">
>> <?php
>> phpinfo();
>> </script>
>
> Ran just fine, with lots of output. Shall I post the whole thing, or
> are there bits of it that you deem more relevant than others.

Give us the PHP installed modules.  We'll start there.

> Note that I've deleted the directory "C:\Program Files\PHP\v5.3" that
> came with the WPI installation, and have installed 5.6 from an MSI
> package download on the php.net web site. This newer install offers to
> use IIS with either CGI or FastCGI - I chose the former. However, it
> does not offer MSSQL, only MySQL, Postgresql and a couple of others.

I hear FastCGI may have been the better choice but I've no experience
either way.

>> Most of us use Apache and MySql so help maybe slim.
>
> Understood.
>
>>  The install.php
>> script will actually display a page with questions for you to answer
>> primarily regarding your database.
>
> Which it did, and I answered, and it seemed to be happy.
>
>>  A 404 error indicates you've not
>> configured IIS to recognize the localhost/DrupalTest as the "Root
>> Directory" of the web site but I don't know how to configure IIS so good
>> luck.
>
> I don't believe this to be the case because of the following:
>
> Per an earlier message, I created test.html, and placed it in the
> virtual directory that the install package created, which is located
> at C:\Intepub\wwwroot\DrupalTest. A browse to
> http://localhost/DrupalTest/test.html brings up the file, but
> http://localhost/DrupalTest/install.php brings up the 404.

I'm thinking here you need to tell IIS about .php files.  It's not able
to translate how to serve the file extension.

You might want to take your questions to http://php.iis.net/ and see if
they might help you.

--
Earnie