[support] Drupal 7 installation on Win2k3 R2 SP2 fully patched - no joy

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:20:54 UTC 2011

Comments in line...

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:44, Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Kurt Buff wrote:
<snip>
>>> While it is likely possible SQL Server please note that MySql is the
>>> stronger suit since that is what has been extensively tested.
>>
>> Yah - I knew that, but there's a preference here for IIS/MSSQL, since
>> that's the strength of the IT staff.
>>

> I would argue that the strength of an IT staff is its ability to learn
> new things and not what it knows already.  I would make the pitch toward
> Apache/MySql/PHP for Windows (WAMP) server.  I'm no server guru and
> managed to set up my first site in less than a day and that wasn't even
> Drupal.

An interesting line of thought, but not one that I can pursue, for
now. I will note, however, that maintaining as homogeneous an
infrastructure as possible helps when your staffing is thin, and
resources are limited.

>>> Can you get a phpinfo() script to run on the server?
>>>
>>> <script name="pinfo.php">
>>> <?php
>>> phpinfo();
>>> </script>
>>
>> Ran just fine, with lots of output. Shall I post the whole thing, or
>> are there bits of it that you deem more relevant than others.
>>

> Give us the PHP installed modules.  We'll start there.

I searched the output, and came up with the following lines:
     SQLite3 module version => 0.7-dev
and
     Additional Modules
and
     Module Name

That's it.

>> Note that I've deleted the directory "C:\Program Files\PHP\v5.3" that
>> came with the WPI installation, and have installed 5.6 from an MSI
>> package download on the php.net web site. This newer install offers to
>> use IIS with either CGI or FastCGI - I chose the former. However, it
>> does not offer MSSQL, only MySQL, Postgresql and a couple of others.
>>

> I hear FastCGI may have been the better choice but I've no experience
> either way.

Further reading over the weekend did mention something about FastCGI
replacing the ISAPI module, but I didn't dive too far into that.

>>> Most of us use Apache and MySql so help maybe slim.
>>
>> Understood.
>>
>>>  The install.php
>>> script will actually display a page with questions for you to answer
>>> primarily regarding your database.
>>
>> Which it did, and I answered, and it seemed to be happy.
>>
>>>  A 404 error indicates you've not
>>> configured IIS to recognize the localhost/DrupalTest as the "Root
>>> Directory" of the web site but I don't know how to configure IIS so good
>>> luck.
>>
>> I don't believe this to be the case because of the following:
>>
>> Per an earlier message, I created test.html, and placed it in the
>> virtual directory that the install package created, which is located
>> at C:\Intepub\wwwroot\DrupalTest. A browse to
>> http://localhost/DrupalTest/test.html brings up the file, but
>> http://localhost/DrupalTest/install.php brings up the 404.
>>

> I'm thinking here you need to tell IIS about .php files.  It's not able
> to translate how to serve the file extension.
>
> You might want to take your questions to http://php.iis.net/ and see if
> they might help you.

I will visit there as well...

Thanks,