[support] Scope of user-defined content type field identifiers

Andy Heath andyheathoss at axelrod.plus.com
Mon Jul 25 20:15:07 UTC 2011

Drupal 7.4

Seems a bit wierd to me - field identifiers/labels on out-of-the-box
content types behave as local to the content type - i.e. one can have
the same identifier on fields in different content types (such as Title
and Body example). And when I create a new content type I get these
local names for free.  Yet when I try to re-use names in different
content types Mr. "don't do naughty things" says "you can't do that
because the name is already in use" - i.e. user-defined field names
behave as if they are global.

Is there some reason for this and any way around it ? Its quite limiting
having to artificially choose different names for the same thing in
different records (for example if I'm using a Tag field with its own
vocabulary in more than one record - if I want to define a content type
that has a Tag field I can't unless I call it something else because the
name is in use).

I'm a bit of a drupal newbie but learning fast.

andy