[support] Cloud pricing estimates

adept techlists - kazar techlists at ade.pt
Sat Jun 4 22:24:10 UTC 2011

> 	Ms. Nancy Wichmann <mailto:nan_wich at bellsouth.net>
> June 3, 2011 7:13 PM
>

> I am a free-lance web developer who often is asked to help people pick
> a hosting company. I believe cloud hosting is becoming mature and
> robust enough to seriously recommend it. In order for me to be able to
> give some reasonable recommendations, is there some way to estimate
> what their current usage is? Most of my customers currently use cPanel
> driven sites with pretty much standard tracking apps on them. Is there
> anything in one of those apps that would give me an idea of what they
> might cost when moved to the cloud?

Hi Nancy --

In the cPanel UI look for "stats". You'll probably find the choices
Webalizer and Analog. In the Webalizer stats you'll find a rough idea of
bandwidth consumption if you add up all the days in a given month. If
you can connect to the account via ssh I'm pretty sure there's a command
you can run to tally the total size of the account's home or public_html
directory (sorry I wouldn't know the command myself but I could swear I
looked it up once and found it, then promptly forgot it).

However, cPanel is likely running within WHM, which is the admin tool
used on a server or VPS that doles out cPanel domains on the server. If
your clients have a VPS or private server they ought to also have access
to the overall server control panel at an address like
https://servername.domain.com:2087 (you'll need to know the root login
to access this).

In WHM if you use the "Find" field in the upper l-h corner to filter the
menus and type in "usage" you'll see various choices though not all are
broken out on a per-domain basis if you need that. You can get bandwidth
consumption by domain (without having to add up daily values), file
space usage, etc.

hope that helps!

kazar