[support] Kind of OFF Topic but even related.

Jorge Biquez jbiquez at icsmx.com
Fri Jun 10 23:55:20 UTC 2011

Hello all.

First to all thanks for the members participant in the list. I learn
something every day.

My apologize in advance if this email is kind  of off topic. I do not
want to cause troubles in the list so maybe for those of you who
would be so kind to answer me it could be better to do it off line,
directly to my email address.

I continue learning Drupal V7. I could not solve the thing of having
several ones in my VPS server with CPanel but that is fine for now.

Before moving with other provider I would like to hear, if possible,
your comments on the following comments/questions.

I guess that a personal project I have had from years can be done
finally with the help of Drupal and the combination of some other
development tools. The framewok is great and my idea is to use as all
the external structure, security, basic forums, articles, polls, etc
and then include some other things I would like to have. Here is
where the comments arrive, I am sorry if those sound crazy.

1) My project includes people that does not have access to the
internet always. And while they do not have access they even would
have to be able to create include information. Yes, I know I can
install D7 in a local machine and copy the information exporting and
importing. But I would like to have an application , desktop one,
that let them capture the information, according to their age, role,
etc. I would like to have it as a desktop one. Why? several reasons
(security, encryption, etc) and besides as a training for me to be
able to solve and be able to get a job or a better one if I can do
those things. Anyway, desktop application running on the machine. IN
teh last weeks I have been evaluating and deciding what path (tools)
to use for that. I am a good programmer with some years of experience
so the learning curve implied could be accepted without problems.

I have been playing with the trial version of
http://www.runrev.com/   Very Very impressive and I guess it can do
it without problems. ONly things is that it is kind of expensive to
have all the tools need it for now. Mainly advantage is that you can
create multi platform developments

I was also considering returning to the Microsoft tools (Visual
Studio 2010). It is expensive also but it is very commercial
(thinking in jobs).

My other alternative I am considering is Python. Open source, multi
platform also, cheap.

I know some of you work developing systems also. What would be your
advice.? What tools are you using now ? Remember the idea is that the
desktop application run and can independently and can connect and
send information and retrieve information from the database of Drupal.

ON the other side. I need to develop the web part. I know Drupal is
done with PHP and it will be easier to do what I need in PHP also.

If you are using PHP. Can you share what are you using as your tools?
I am planning to use Eclipse but since I do not know much yet I do
not know what API framework to use, some say Zend would the best for
a framework for PHP.

If you are in list like this for PHP, can you share them also.

I am planning to devote time also to Python and I guess at the end do
all mainly in Python. Any comments or advice?

My project is personal, it is for poor communities in the mountains
that have no access to internet and not resources. It is a complex
project that I expect to be doing it in the next 2 years. Of course I
am interested in learning what I need since I need to get a job and
if I can do both things it would be excellent.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Jorge Biquez
www.biquez.com