[support] moving site and retaining permission

adept techlists - kazar techlists at ade.pt
Sun Jun 12 05:33:40 UTC 2011

HI all --

I am singlehandedly building my first full-blown drupal site (using 7),
rolling it out (for an art project that's already live), and testing
additional modules and blocks etc.

On the web server I have created a protected "sandbox" subdomain as my
"test server". I am trying to find the easiest way to move the test
files to the "production server" (i.e., out of the subdomain and into
the TLD), and to move files back when I want to do more testing &
development but using all the latest settings etc from the live site as
my starting point.

I have tried simple download/upload via ftp -- permissions all get
screwed on the sites/defaults/files/xxx path

I have tried gzip, download, upload tar -- the "sites" directory ends up
empty

it's a major drag to have to go into an ssh session to do chowns &
chmods every time i move stuff back and forth.

There must be an easier way.

If the easier way involves straight CLI please be gentle, CLI still
freaks me out

thanks!

kazar