[support] moving site and retaining permission

Dan Horning dan.horning at planetnoc.com
Sun Jun 12 06:11:27 UTC 2011

Kazar,

from the directory you're in
tar -zcf ~/FILENAME.tar.gz ./

Will create the tar.gz and should store the permissions

then extract the file in the right place with
tar -zxf ~/FILENAME.tar.gz

that should do it - and then you'll create a backup too....

need more info?

On 6/12/2011 1:33 AM, adept techlists - kazar wrote:
> HI all --
>
> I am singlehandedly building my first full-blown drupal site (using 7),
> rolling it out (for an art project that's already live), and testing
> additional modules and blocks etc.
>
> On the web server I have created a protected "sandbox" subdomain as my
> "test server". I am trying to find the easiest way to move the test
> files to the "production server" (i.e., out of the subdomain and into
> the TLD), and to move files back when I want to do more testing&
> development but using all the latest settings etc from the live site as
> my starting point.
>
> I have tried simple download/upload via ftp -- permissions all get
> screwed on the sites/defaults/files/xxx path
>
> I have tried gzip, download, upload tar -- the "sites" directory ends up
> empty
>
> it's a major drag to have to go into an ssh session to do chowns&
> chmods every time i move stuff back and forth.
>
> There must be an easier way.
>
> If the easier way involves straight CLI please be gentle, CLI still
> freaks me out
>
> thanks!
>
> kazar

Dan Horning

American Digital Services - Where you are only limited by imagination.
dan.horning at planetnoc.com :: http://www.americandigitalservices.com
1-518-444-0213 x502 . toll free 1-800-863-3854 . fax 1-888-474-6133
PO Box 746, Troy, NY 12181