[support] moving site and retaining permission

adept techlists - kazar techlists at ade.pt
Sun Jun 12 06:20:03 UTC 2011

> 	Dan Horning <mailto:dan.horning at planetnoc.com>
> June 12, 2011 2:11 AM
>

> Kazar,
>
> from the directory you're in
> tar -zcf ~/FILENAME.tar.gz ./
>
> Will create the tar.gz and should store the permissions
>
> then extract the file in the right place with
> tar -zxf ~/FILENAME.tar.gz
>
> that should do it - and then you'll create a backup too....
>
> need more info?

ah that makes sense. I do know about man pages but when i try to read
them and understand what they're really talking about my eyes bleed and
my brain smokes. I often wish for just plain-english explanations and
some better examples in man pages.

I will file this info for protecting permissions when tarring and
untarring files.

However, as per my f/u post submitted a moment ago, I'm realizing I
don't have to DL/UL at all, my sandbox is simply a subdomain of the
production server. I can just copy from the command line I think (and
then restore the target server's original settings.php file)

and here i sat DLing and ULing via sftp, very slow!!!!!

thanks again,

kazar