[support] moving site and retaining permission

adept techlists - kazar techlists at ade.pt
Sun Jun 12 06:17:20 UTC 2011

OK, I must have finally hit the right search string on Google. I found a
page that offers a command for copying the site's files from one
directory to another while retaining permissions:

     cp -rp drupal_source drupal_destinatio|n

But then the instructions continue with the sort of stuff that scares me
to try because I don't know what most of this stuff means:

    * Update references to Drupal url, path, and database details (name,
      user, pass, and host). Sample commands below using grep:
      |find /path/to/drupal -type f -exec perl -pi -e
      "s/example.com/example2.com/g" {} \;
      find /path/to/drupal -type f -exec perl -pi -e
      "s/public_html\/example/public_html\/example2/g" {} \;
      find /path/to/drupal -type f -exec perl -pi -e
      "s/db_name/db_name2/g" {} \;
      find /path/to/drupal -type f -exec perl -pi -e
      "s/db_user/db_user2/g" {} \;
      find /path/to/drupal -type f -exec perl -pi -e
      "s/db_pass/db_pass2/g" {} \;|
    *

I know enough to understand that this is some sort of grepping/perl
script (pardon me if my vocabulary here is laughable) to fix any
absolute path references.

BUT ... I don't understand why there would be any. When I link from one
page to another on my site I only use the relative path. I would hope
that images inserted into node content would also have internal
references in the database.

Am I wrong? Is it really necessary to do anything other than to keep the
settings.php files distinct for the public domain and the protected
subdomain that serves as my sandbox?

btw, i also use two separate databases. So I do understand that both the
baseURL and databasename in settings.php will be different for
production vs. sandbox

I have noticed that everyone out on the World Wide Web seems to have a
different "truth" when it comes to how best to move a Drupal site

Yet I appreciate any input from this list!!

kazar