[support] Providing searches for users

Bruce Whealton bruce at futurewavedesigns.com
Fri Jun 17 01:31:29 UTC 2011

Hello,

           I am working on a personals site for a client.  The site will
have profiles for each person on the site.  So, I guess the way to present
the results of a search or browse feature would be with the Views module,
right?  Views would display results, such as People, based on the criteria
that one filters upon.  Maybe we want to show only men seeking women over 40
who don't smoke.

            I know there are other dating sites that have used Drupal but
has anyone on this list done this?  Does anyone know of any other modules
that would help with this kind of task of returning a list of users based on
profile data?

          Next, how does one find all the People, users who are located
within 25, 50 or 100 miles of the searcher's location?  I know it can be
done based on lat and long coordinates, but would you do that at the time of
the search function when it is run?  I cannot imagine with a large database
you'd store the distance between each and every two persons.

Thanks,

Bruce