[support] LDAP & AD

Jeff Johnson jeff.johnson at hara.com
Thu Jun 16 21:03:12 UTC 2011

Hey, I've poked around on drupal.org and have installed the LDAP module to integrate drupal with AD, but I'm a relative noob when it comes to LDAP and am having some issues getting going and the documentation seems to be lacking (or I'm looking in the wrong place).

First off, what in your opinion is the best LDAP module in terms of ease of configuration etc.?  I installed this one: http://drupal.org/project/ldap.

We have a few permission groups in AD: IT, HR, Users (the latter being everyone else).  IT would be mapped to Administrator, HR to Moderator, and Users to authenticated user.

All of our users on AD sit in OU=User Accounts.

We haven't got anything interesting configured for AD as far as I know, so I'm using "Derive Drupal role from DN" on the LDAP Authorization Configuration page, but I'm not sure what to put there.  Do I put OU, or CN, or User Accounts, or OU=User Accounts?  A lot of this is looking like greek to me.  Derive roles by attribute or entry - those options I don't quite get.

Help!

Thanks,

Jeff