[support] Drupal 7: inline images with wysiwyg

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 21:26:31 UTC 2011

On 28/02/11 18:52, Jeff wrote:
> What is the best practice for uploading inline images?
>
> Effectively what I would like to achieve is that the users are
> presented with a simple Upload *from their computer* facility, and not
> be able to browse images already uploaded to the server.
>
> I fear this is a really contentious issue with Drupal, and I'm sure
> many people feel as I do that there should be transparent and unified
> method for providing users with a simple and effective image upload
> facility.
>
> At this stage I'm leaving well alone, as I don't want to be caught out
> with something like image.module and img_assist - again - on the next
> major version upgrade.

I'm also interested in a good image management system for drupal 7. What
I would like is to have a main image for each node (which I can style
differently in the teaser and main image display), but also to be able
to add images to the body of a text using wysiwyg. The two should work
together, at least enough that they can be configured to store files in
the same place.

Insert plus filefield looks pretty good, but is missing the following
things I would like (in order of preference):
- the main thing is that file fields don't currently have an image
browser - you get an upload file button but no way of browsing for
existing images. This is pretty essential for us.
- also there is no facility to restyle the images - e.g. float left or
right. (You can change the size using imagecache presets, but this isn't
the same as css styling.) I could add this using css classes, but it's
not an intuitive solution for end users.
- tags on image fields would be really nice to make them easier to
manage later.
- another nice but non-essential feature would be if the image browser
used views so we could define our own ways of accessing previously
uploaded files. ImageBrowser does this but there is no D7 version (yet?)

I might be up for coding some or all of these features if there isn't
something out there already, but obviously would rather not if there's
something written already.

andy