[support] Creating duplicate content (on purpose)

Andy Fowlston andy at pedalo.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 17:16:56 UTC 2011

> One way I can think of doing it is creating a "master" node, along
> with 'blank' secondary nodes, and using hook_nodeapi to use the
> content from the master node when a secondary node is called. This
> seems slightly hacky. Is there a module that already does this?

I did something similar on a site, it worked, wasn't too hacky. I created a content type called cloned page, it had no body and a nodereference field to point to the page it's cloning. Then by setting the display of the reference you can get very close to the effect you want automatically. I think I might've needed to do a small bit of custom theming, not sure. It's important btw to set the canonical URL to avoid duplicate content penalties.

> can I use hook_menu_alter or something to add a second menu item that
> References the original?

For my use case my clients wanted to be able to add different banners to the different pages, and my banner system worked on nids so just playing with the menu wasn't an option (for me!). Also it would've meant that when you clicked on the 'cloned' menu item, the active menu trail would jump to be that of the 'master' menu item.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Fowlston
+44 (0)20 8747 5068
andy at pedalo.co.uk
Skype: andy.pedalo
www.pedalo.co.uk

This email is intended only for the above named addressee/s. This email may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have received this email and you are not a named addressee, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the email or any part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this email in error, please email the sender by replying to this message and delete it from your system. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this email.

pedalo limited cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments and recommends that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and not necessarily those of Pedalo Limited