[support] Why SubTheme?

Andy Fowlston andy at pedalo.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 13:53:58 UTC 2011

I've been following this thread with interest. It seems to me that themes as they exist in Drupal serve two distinct purposes.

1. They make things look right. This is the CSS, JS, custom templates, template.php magic etc. that's necessary to make this-site.com look different from that-site.com.

2. They open up functionality. This could be the theme registry rebuilder, conditional stylesheets, Fusion-style column fun, etc.

If you're only interested in #1 then it seems to me that using a parent theme and updating it regularly might cause problems, and might not really help in anyway.

If you need #2 then I think your hand's kinda forced.

I think a hefty theme like Fusion really does straddle the line between module and theme, and that's part of the reason this discussion arises.

I'm no expert, but there are parts of Zen and Fusion that perhaps belong in modules (that can supply their own CSS, JS) and life would be easier if a theme really was nothing more than the icing on the cake (no heavy lifting). I know that Fusion already expects Skinr, and parts of Zen's goodness can also come in module format, so I wonder where future development will lead.

A.

Andy Fowlston
+44 (0)20 8747 5068
andy at pedalo.co.uk
Skype: andy.pedalo
www.pedalo.co.uk

This email is intended only for the above named addressee/s. This email may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have received this email and you are not a named addressee, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the email or any part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this email in error, please email the sender by replying to this message and delete it from your system. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this email.

pedalo limited cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments and recommends that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and not necessarily those of Pedalo Limited