[support] Why SubTheme?

John Saward john at also.com.au
Mon Mar 14 13:26:02 UTC 2011

Thanks for picking this up.

yes; your clarity is received, and welcomed. - you were not talking about debug and fix, just the restoration.

I agree that as yu put it is quite conceivable to do the SSH and db restore operations in under a minute if the system for doing that is well established in your dev environment and mind beforehand. I agree it is having that 'instant' (where instant mans less than one minute) restoration point available that makes the difference. I always prioritise that availability. And in perhaps 7 or 9 times out of 10 the theoretically correct, and previously tested restoration operations will lead to a fully restored site in 'an instant' and we go "whoo. glad i had insisted on the restoration point".

and in the other 3, 2 or 1 times?

we missed a factor in our consideration, and the restore fails and our 'average of under a minute  to restore' nudges up again way above the minute.

sounds like you have it under control Fred.

when things go right they are very right but when things go wrong they can be very ugly indeed; thus my minimum time for such restore is for sure way under a minute; but the average over the years is possibly much higher than that.

all good.

On 14/03/2011, at 11:39 PM, Fred Jones wrote:

>> Why am I so stupid? Everybody else can restore a whole site in 60 seconds . :(
>
> Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant--I didn't say debug and fix, I
> said "restore" which means to put back the old code which I had just
> moved to a different directory anyway and then import the previous
> version of the DB which I just saved. Actually I don't see those two
> operations either via ssh or a good Control Panel should take more
> than a minute. After that, of course one probably needs to make a dev
> copy of the site and run the upgrade and then examine what the issue
> is etc. etc.

======================
John Saward B.Sc.
Director and Problem Solver