[support] HTML e-mail (was Re: Chaos Tool installation problem)

adept techlists - kazar techlists at ade.pt
Mon May 9 09:25:05 UTC 2011

sivaji j.g wrote:
> Please refrain from sending HTML e-mail to lists. It is not
> *recommended*,  often discouraging to read your reply though it is
> valuable. I hope the list moderators will look into it (if anyone
> around).
This is a losing battle. If mailing lists are offered as support forums
for the public, it must be recognized that many, if not most, email
programs by default send html or rtf emails, or they are using web email
such as gmail or yahoo that have prominent formatting buttons and
actually encourage formatted emails. And end-users are largely unaware
of what the differences are, and how to create a plain-text email, and
should not have to study up on this to discuss things with a community.

I used to be a heavy-duty plain-text email evangelist. I gave up on this
sort of purist approach maybe 10 years ago, when I got tired of dealing
with my clients sending me inline responses to my questions with notes
such as "my responses are in blue". I switched to an html-capable email
client (T'bird, now Postbox) and have never looked back.

Anyway, the person you chose to pick on does use Yahoo mail which can be
determined by exposing the full headers of her messages and looking at
the X-Mailer value, and she did NOT send an html email, it was sent as
standard for a long time now. If your email app has trouble displaying
the plain-text portion of a multipart/mixed message, maybe look around
at other email programs.

kazar