[support] HTML e-mail (was Re: Chaos Tool installation problem)

Davide Mirtillo davide at evnetwork.it
Mon May 9 10:40:39 UTC 2011

Il 09/05/2011 11:25, adept techlists - kazar ha scritto:
> sivaji j.g wrote:
>> Please refrain from sending HTML e-mail to lists. It is not
>> *recommended*,  often discouraging to read your reply though it is
>> valuable. I hope the list moderators will look into it (if anyone
>> around).
> This is a losing battle. If mailing lists are offered as support forums
> for the public, it must be recognized that many, if not most, email
> programs by default send html or rtf emails, or they are using web email
> such as gmail or yahoo that have prominent formatting buttons and
> actually encourage formatted emails. And end-users are largely unaware
> of what the differences are, and how to create a plain-text email, and
> should not have to study up on this to discuss things with a community.
>
> I used to be a heavy-duty plain-text email evangelist. I gave up on this
> sort of purist approach maybe 10 years ago, when I got tired of dealing
> with my clients sending me inline responses to my questions with notes
> such as "my responses are in blue". I switched to an html-capable email
> client (T'bird, now Postbox) and have never looked back.
>
> Anyway, the person you chose to pick on does use Yahoo mail which can be
> determined by exposing the full headers of her messages and looking at
> the X-Mailer value, and she did NOT send an html email, it was sent as
> standard for a long time now. If your email app has trouble displaying
> the plain-text portion of a multipart/mixed message, maybe look around
> at other email programs.
>
> kazar

There are loads of reasons why HTML messages are not good for mailing
lists. See [0] for some examples. There's also an rfc about messaging
which i think would be pretty interesting for some of the members of
this mailing list [1].

Simply saying "omg it's 2011, get an html e-mail client!1!!!!!" is not
an answer, because it's not a logic argument, and i could just reply on
the same line: "omg it's 2011, learn to configure your e-mail client
properly!".

HTML emails sent to mailing lists are just plain rude, IMO. It's even
worse when there's people asking you to switch to plain text messages.

[0] http://pyropus.ca/personal/writings/nomime.html
[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

--
Davide Mirtillo