[support] HTML e-mail (was Re: Chaos Tool installation problem)

Davide Mirtillo davide at evnetwork.it
Thu May 12 14:47:44 UTC 2011

Il 11/05/2011 21:49, adept techlists - kazar ha scritto:
>> Simply saying "omg it's 2011, get an html e-mail client!1!!!!!" is not
>> an answer, because it's not a logic argument, and i could just reply on
>> the same line: "omg it's 2011, learn to configure your e-mail client
>> properly!".
>
> My only point in my earlier message was, again, this is a losing battle.
> I also think it would be much nicer of folks *requested* plain text
> emails rather than instruct or demand folks to learn how to send them.
>
> omg, it's not 1995 anymore, Either get an html capable email client or
> just delete everything that's not plain-text ... :-)

As i said, i can read html mails just fine, i just find them way harder
to speedread (and ugly as hell), since the formatting is always
different and people in this list keep top-posting and embedding remote
images in their signatures.

You make people NOT want to use the list by doing as you link because
"it's a losing war". I'm subscribed to other software and support
mailing lists, and people happily comply with the so-called netiquette.
Take debian-user for example:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/05/threads.html

Changing a setting in your e-mail client to send plaintext mails only to
this address does not cost you anything, arguing about it is a waste of
time, but the argument has been brought up by other users who, like you,
are trying to use this mailing list, which is a service provided by the
community, for the community. You can send
flashing-and-pink-comic-sans-html-formatted mails to all of your private
contacts as far as i'm concerned, but please be respectful about other
people requests in here.

--
Davide Mirtillo