[support] Site Slow Downs

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 5 15:03:27 UTC 2011

Yes to both. First I would make sure that the watchdog table is InnoDB
as that will help, especially on table locks. Another option is to
hijack the dblog module and create your own from it. Basically just
copy, rename what needs renamed (hooks, etc) and in hook_watchdog filter
out the things you really don't need written to the database. Even
better is replacing the storage for the watchdog with something like
MongoDB, sqlite or even plain old log files.

An option on the email is to setup something like Google Apps or any
external email service for handling the emails, then use the SMTP module
to send all the emails through Google Apps. This saves some decent load
on the server since sendmail isn't fired for each email.

(FYI - from a consultant stand point I always recommend Google Apps to
sites unless they have a ton of email addresses. It greatly reduces the
headache of handling email and gives the users an interface that most of
them are probably use to.  I even use it for my own company. Every
client I have switched to it has been thrilled.)

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net