[support] US map

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 27 18:54:51 UTC 2011

As Earnie said, the simplest solution would be Google Maps. Here's an
example and you can view the source to see how it's done:

http://econym.org.uk/gmap/example_states.htm

If Flash is an option, then you are pretty much paying for something or
developing it yourself.

The best and most complicated option is to do it in PHP/MySQL. For this
you need a database of the polygons that make up each state (if you want
to go this route, I can give you a dump of mine) and then assemble the
polygons and dump out a final version in GD. I did this for a client a
few years ago that actually did all the different congressional
districts and it really didn't take all that long for the states (the
CDs was a different story!).  Sadly this was a closed source project, so
I can't help you out on the source code.

Going copy and paste is probably going to be really hard. You need to
find images of each state that are the same scale and have a transparent
background. I've never seen any sets like that in all the
geocoding/mapping work I've done in the past.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net