[support] Freetagging in Drupal 7 Taxonomies

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 3 17:01:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:59 AM, DTH <david at hartster.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm adding blog functionality to a D7 site. I'm using Taxonomy to add
> a list of checkboxes for authors to tag posts. However, people will
> always want to add extra tags. Rather than force people to edit
> vocabularies, are there any contributed modules that allow for people
> to choose "other" and then add extra terms on the node form? I don't
> want to use the autocomplete widget as (based on current usage), I'll
> know we end up with a ton of similar/mispelled tags, plus I want to
> force people to reuse existing tags/limit the tags they use.

The autocomplete widget is probably best for allowing reuse of exiting
tags.  You're always going to get misspelled tags, you even misspelled
misspelled in this post. ;p
The only way to really control that is by a rule to give you recent
added taxonomy so you can review it for correctness.

> I'm aware of Hierarchical Select, but that seems overly complicated
> for this purpose (and I'm somewhat reluctant to use an Alpha release
> of a module with 143 open bugs on a live site).

Probably.

--
Earnie