[support] Drupal 7 multi site problem

Wed Dec 19 13:30:55 UTC 2012

On 12/18/12 7:22 PM, Roger wrote:
> <snip>
> Hi
> I seem to have problems getting multi sites to work.
> On my home pc Fedora 16 I have latest Drupal 7 in /var/www/html
> In /sites I have example.com. In example.com I have settings.php and
> /files both a+w
> I have not installed the base drupal as I only wish installation of
> multisites.
> </snip>
You say you "have not installed the base drupal" and then you say you
have Drupal is /var/www/html, which is it?

Also, just to make sure, /sites should be /var/www/html/sites from your
file system view, path for web sites are often described relative to
Document Root.
> Further to this problem posted earlier.
> I have found just now that the problem seems to be example.com which
> confuses the system.
> --I created 2 new folders in /sites example1.ab and example2.ab and
> copied default.settings.php to both,  renamed and set files and
> settings.php to a+w.
> --Set /etc/hosts to 127.0.0.1 example1.ab and example2.ab
> --Created <Directory /var/www/html/example1.ab> and <Directory
> /var/www/html/example2.ab> in httpd.conf
If the two sites have different Document Roots, then you are not using
multi-site (unless you have done something else unusual to make the
sites point to the shared version of Drupal).

If Drupal is installed in /var/www/html then the Document root for the
sites should be /var/www/html not /var/www/html/example1.ab
Any custom files for a given domain (like settings.php) would then be in
the directory /var/www/html/sites/domainname/ ...

--
Richard Damon