[support] drupal upgrades? automated?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sat Feb 4 20:56:02 UTC 2012

Quoting Ursula Pieper <dramamezzo at gmail.com>:

> Automated updates are a tricky thing, because they might break things in
> contributed modules. I have a development and a production site of each of
> my sites. I first update the development site, run a few pre-defined
> checks, and then update the production site. And if something broke on the
> development site, I first look for a fix. And yes, things do break.

Thanks for this. I am not a developer of contributed modules, so I am
not sure about such issues. But it makes me wonder about the state of
documentation for modules. It seems it would be very useful to have
clear statements about coding standards and perhaps some automated
verification of the module. I mean apart from 'run it and see how hard
it breaks.' Static programming languages have long faced the issues of
clear definitions of the actions evoked by statements and have an
elaborate structure of checking to improve confidence in the results.
Of course, from my newbie perspective, I have no way to know if the
internal structure and design of the core is sufficiently stable and
clear to form an adequate basis for such an effort. Is it? And are
standards in the browser and server ecosystem clear enough?

Dave