[support] Integrating a large, given Database into Drupal

Bastiaan Zapf bzapf at online.de
Tue Jan 10 22:51:49 UTC 2012

Am 09.01.2012 04:50, schrieb Gregg Marshall:

Dear Gregg,

thank You for Your kind reply.

I do not understand hook_views_data completely for now, but it appears
to be the hook i was looking for.

I still hope we can do it without migrating the whole database to
drupal. There's more to that than the number of nodes. My first concern
would be that there are quite a few databases of this kind and that a
"drupal accesses an external storage of documents" scenario would at
least give some control over unification of these documents.

> While 300,000 nodes is a good size, drupal.org has several times that many
> nodes.

I do not doubt that drupal respectively the underlying database could
handle those numbers, it's more like: once we migrate everything, we're
going to have to live with that migration like forever. I do not want
that. I couldn't even responsibly decide if a migration were "good"
(that is, not lose any data that is thought important).

As you might suspect, there's a lot of politics in this setting.

Good night,

    Basti