[support] Keeping dev and live site in sync

Sohodojo Jim salmons at sohodojo.com
Thu Jan 26 22:07:52 UTC 2012

drush http://drupal.org/project/drush

>	This is a command line tool, and if you set up your alias files you
can sync you to dev to live in a couple of commands.

>	drush sql-drop
>	drush sql-sync @site.live @site.local
>	drush rsync @site.live:%files @site.local:%files
>
>	I do this will all my sites and makes my development so much easier.

[Jim replies:]
Yes, I believe that drush is the tool/means of choice for such things and
these commands are very likely the 'core' of one aspect of what I was trying
to describe in the webcast mentioned in this thread.

The more global aspect is "How do I organize and do the full-day workflow of
creating and evolving a Drupal site?" And this gets into aspects of more
than the core dev-local/remote-live sites. As I am not a drush user much
less an expert, I suspect but do not know for sure how the workflow that
I've described in my webcast (http://www.sohodojo.biz/sqlyog) could be fully
'drushified' from an automation standpoint to do both the local/remote stuff
_and_ the iterative throughout the day development activity covered in my
presentation.

I do believe, however, that what is described in the presentation -- taken
as a user's spec for what would be useful -- would make for a great
drush-based fully Drupal admin feature-set in a contributed module (which I
would be happy to collaborate with someone to do).

--Sohodojo Jim--