[support] Keeping dev and live site in sync

Anthony tony at tony-mac.com
Thu Jan 26 22:13:55 UTC 2012

More generally : From my very limited experience with the platform I have
found, and would like to ask if you agree, that Drupal seems a somewhat
slightly wobbly platform. It's either that or I just don't understand all
of the ramifications of my doings in D.  Thus a constant backing up in case
something goes wrong seems advantageous. Is this why you back up several
times a day?

Tony

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Sohodojo Jim <salmons at sohodojo.com> wrote:

> >       The easiest method to keep your local dev site up to date is to use
> drush http://drupal.org/project/drush
> >
> >       This is a command line tool, and if you set up your alias files you
> can sync you to dev to live in a couple of commands.
> >
> >       drush sql-drop
> >       drush sql-sync @site.live @site.local
> >       drush rsync @site.live:%files @site.local:%files
> >
> >       I do this will all my sites and makes my development so much
> easier.
> >

> [Jim replies:]
> Yes, I believe that drush is the tool/means of choice for such things and
> these commands are very likely the 'core' of one aspect of what I was
> trying
> to describe in the webcast mentioned in this thread.
>
> The more global aspect is "How do I organize and do the full-day workflow
> of
> creating and evolving a Drupal site?" And this gets into aspects of more
> than the core dev-local/remote-live sites. As I am not a drush user much
> less an expert, I suspect but do not know for sure how the workflow that
> I've described in my webcast (http://www.sohodojo.biz/sqlyog) could be
> fully
> 'drushified' from an automation standpoint to do both the local/remote
> stuff
> _and_ the iterative throughout the day development activity covered in my
> presentation.
>
> I do believe, however, that what is described in the presentation -- taken
> as a user's spec for what would be useful -- would make for a great
> drush-based fully Drupal admin feature-set in a contributed module (which I
> would be happy to collaborate with someone to do).
>
> --Sohodojo Jim--

*Anthony Stefan Maciejowski*

*tony maciejowski** | analyst/programmer  | websites |
www.tony-mac.com<t_maciejowski at hotmail.com>
*

*Twitter: anntosh* | *Cell: 323.899.6206* | *Linked-In:* *Anthony
Maciejowski*

 “Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the
certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out.”

--- Vaclav Havel