[support] Multiple path aliases?

DTH david at hartster.org
Sat Jun 2 18:53:30 UTC 2012

Using the core path module it's possible to set up multiple aliases
for the same node art admin/build/path/add [assuming D6] (e.g. foo/bar
and baz/bar can both be aliases to node/4). Where the problem lies is
that this doesn't play well with  menus, so if you want to have both
foo/bar and baz/bar in a menu it's not going to work as going to
baz/bar will trigger active trails to foo/bar as well.

Depending on your site structure/number of cloned pages/how often
content changes etc, the way I've handled this in the past includes:

1. If there's only a few pages or if the content never/rarely changes
just suck it up and quickly copy over the contents to a new node
2. Use views (e.g. create a node called bar, and views with paths foo
and baz that take bar as an argument)
3. Either on the same content type or a new content type called Cloned
Content etc, have a node reference field and then configure your
display/templates to show the referenced content, so your workflow
would be: create foo/bar and then if  the same content is needed
elsewhere, create a new node and choose foo/bar as the node reference,
and then save it in the appropriate place in the menu as baz/bar.

This last one is what I do currently (after somebody mentioned it on
the list a while back when I asked a very similar question).