[support] Strange characters in source of block

Anthony tony at tony-mac.com
Tue May 1 16:17:47 UTC 2012

Bluehost mail to me
"Hi,
It is a drupal problem in the fact that drupal was written to work on a
centos environment and that a change from centos 5 to centos 6 results in
the problems you experienced.
Its a known bug with drupal and yes, we did make the upgrade, but it is
still a drupal issue with the centos 6 environment.

You have two options to stop the escape characters from being inserted:

1. Change to PHP 5.3 and update your Drupal installation to the most recent
version.  This can be done in the PHP Config section of the cPanel.
Simply click on the radio button to the left of PHP 5.3 or PHP 5.3 Single
(depending on which php.ini behavior you prefer) and then save the changes.

2. You may also disable magic_quotes_gpc in the php.ini.
This is done by finding the php.ini that applies to your Drupal
installation in the File Manager, and Editing it.
Once inside, search (the ctrl+f find function is recommended) for the line
magic_quotes_gpc=On and set this variable to magic_quotes_gpc=Off

Here is a thread on the drupal forums themselves that goes more into detail
about the problem and some fixes: http://drupal.org/node/1437998
"
Tony

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Joel Willers <joel.willers at sigler.com>wrote:

> I'm on BlueHost and I experienced the problem on an updated installation
> of D7 and D6. It was very annoying, and the fact that Drupal automatically
> turns it off really made it difficult to diagnose. Sadly, Drupal's attempts
> to turn it off failed, and I needed to edit the php.ini file in the server
> root to turn it off. Simple enough, but it sure was a pain to figure out.
> It's all better now, though.
>
> Joel

*Anthony Stefan Maciejowski*