[support] support Digest, Vol 113, Issue 62

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Wed May 30 01:29:38 UTC 2012

Hi. I wonder if you can create a new group of users just for those 6
people? Is that possible? I have never tried it.

<snip>
I have need to let 6 users add or update data in taxonomy fields which
provide drop down menus for Town. Locality and Venue. I have an editor's
page and menu for such purpose where those selectI kinda thought of that
but they still have to have admin permissions.
</snip>

I set up a role and a couple of users with that role with restricted
admin permissions but it doesn't work.
I tried in orgainc groups and workbench but still no luck.
It seems to be a flaw in the thinking about taxonomy entry, in that the
devs set up the system and no one else can input.

It  seems that  CMS's seem to be more magazine oriented, encouraging
anyone to input and the taxonomy probably suits that system where it
doesn't easily facilitate instances we need.
Where for instance one editor has one reviewer - responsible for and
seeing only the unpublished data they need to and nothing else. When the
Reviewer publishes the data/article, etc public see only generic data,
members see public and member specific data and management sees all but
none of these can input or edit.

We  have 12 editors, 12 reviewers and one site controller who can take
down an off topic or offensive article.

Our current thinking is looking at using content types instead of
taxonomy but that makes the data structure unmanageable as we found with
our Drupal 6 site and is not the recommended way for Drupal 7.  I would
need 7 content types to do the work of 3 taxonomies.
Our taxonomies provide selectable data for drop down menu selections.

I'm thinking of using a page content type with the body set to plain
text, and getting the editors to enter their taxonomy entries to that
then, I think, there is a module that reads plain text and puts those
lines into taxonomy, maybe I can get it to read the plain text on the
page and create the taxonomy from that.
  It is a pity that things are so convoluted.

Thing is that we only need to update the location, venue and contacts
taxonomy infrequently, maybe a dozen times a year but each of the
editors need to be able to do that and the reviewers need to be able to
review the entry.

Apologies for the convoluted nature of this post, I'm stuck and somewhat
confused as to what to do.
Thanks
Roger