[support] administering drupal through the web

L.J.Bos eljay09 at gmail.com
Wed May 30 07:46:18 UTC 2012

Hi Daniel,

Have you ever thought of using Coda? I have to work with a client that has
a hosting provider without a decent admin console, so I have to do it all
through the command line. I managed to install Drush at the ISP and am
using Coda to get inside and do my stuff.

Eljay

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Daniel Germer <daniel at triple5.org> wrote:

> Thanks Earnie for your quick reply,
> I appreciate that you know elysia_cron and will try it out.
>

> The other was not helpful for me.
> Yes, I had seen serfish and think that it is a really serious security
> concern…
> but that is not the only reason.
>
> The provider is also blocked by the firewall of the clinic and my
> clients cannot handle ssh and command line at all. It would be good
> enough for me though, if I was not too paranoid using an internet
> connection to give away my ssh credentials ;-)
>
> I am sure this could start some hot discussion on security, and I would
> advise anyone to NOT do ssh over the web. With my standard ssh account
> for example I can (and I have to) sudo-ly fix everything on my server
> (and break everything ;), too) Maybe I will create some handicapped user
> for this purpose, but then if it is for myself, I might as well get an
> android or iphone app to do real ssh
>
> The other, the firefox plugin, still uses the same ports to connect,
> which leaves me inside the proxy/firewall of the clinic :-(
>
> Finally do none of those two solutions provide ftp or scp access to the
> file system, so I still have to find something to administer my uploads
> and downloads.
> I might use the serfish with a mimed ssh-account to move around files on
> the filesystem, but I would love an ajax interface for that, so that the
> non-techies can do that, too
>
> Any solution for that?
> Daniel
>

> On 29.05.2012 22:57, support-request at drupal.org wrote:
> > I've never had that problem.  There are some terminal emulators using
> > port 80 that can allow ssh to be used via the browser.
> >
> > http://serfish.com/console/
> >
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/firessh-%E2%80%93-ssh-in-a-browser-firefox-addon.html

Eljay Bos
Mobile Italy:+39 3392403630