[support] Strategy for converting a site to drupal

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Thu Nov 22 00:27:17 UTC 2012

Some of the language you are using doesn't quite translate to the world of a CMS. You need to start thinking in separate terms of "content" vs. "code". These things are handled very differently and are not staged and deployed in the same way.

It's a bit over-simplistic but generally, code is generally created in dev environments and pushed to staging/production servers after testing.

Content is created in production and pulled back to dev environments to feed testing of code.

Up until the point that you are working with multiple people in a production CMS environment, you can push complete databases from dev to staging/production enviornments.

For this, you want to look at the backup_migrate module at http://drupal.org/project/backup_migrate which can be used to pull down copies of complete drupal databases, or push databse to production.

The "code" is transferred just like old static files to production.

Also, if you're not afraid of SSH and command line tools, drush (the drupal shell)  is a must have: http://drupal.org/project/drush .

Dave