[support] Strategy for converting a site to drupal

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Thu Nov 22 00:42:51 UTC 2012

* Metzler, David <metzlerd at evergreen.edu> [121121 15:31]:

> Some of the language you are using doesn't quite translate to the
> world of a CMS. You need to start thinking in separate terms of
> "content" vs. "code". These things are handled very differently
> and are not staged and deployed in the same way.

  I will strive to understand the distinction. I use an MVC approach
  which is of my own derivation, since I've been doing web development
  since 1995. I'm in the position of having to "empty the cup"
  before we can get the tea in, yes?

> It's a bit over-simplistic but generally, code is generally
> created in dev environments and pushed to staging/production
> servers after testing.

> Content is created in production and pulled back to dev
> environments to feed testing of code.

> Up until the point that you are working with multiple people in a
> production CMS environment, you can push complete databases from
> dev to staging/production enviornments.
>
> For this, you want to look at the backup_migrate module at
> http://drupal.org/project/backup_migrate which can be used to pull
> down copies of complete drupal databases, or push databse to
> production.

  I installed this module earlier...

> The "code" is transferred just like old static files to
> production.

> Also, if you're not afraid of SSH and command line tools, drush (the drupal shell)  is a must have: http://drupal.org/project/drush .

  Am an 'old' (in more ways than one) unix hand. And I have drush
  and am studying it. Have Requena's Drush User Guide.

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com