[support] Ten Commandments

Ms. Nancy Wichmann nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 20 13:13:43 UTC 2012

I have recently started a full-time gig, after several months of contracting. In reviewing several extant sites, I identified several practices that I don't care for. So I mentioned the possibility of putting Drupal guidelines into place. They won't really be Commandments and I already have more than ten.

What rules/guidelines would you suggest so that we consistently produce the best sites we can?
Here's most of what I have now:

1.    Follow Drupal Coding Standards; use lots of
comments.
2.    No PHP nodes.
3.    No PHP blocks. (A sample block module is
available.)
4.    Minimize PHP in Views.
5.    All code in Git, if possible. (It is best to
create the repository even before using install.php).
6.    Use Features for content types and views; and
for other things that lend themselves thereto. Commit these to Git repository.
7.    Security updates should be scheduled in the
project’s issue tracker to be done as soon as practical. Other updates should
be reviewed for priority and scheduled accordingly.
8.    For views that have a block with a “more”
page, limit the View to those functions so you can use the built-in more
feature.
9.    CSS is your friend, use it before
programmatic or theme styling as much as possible.
10.Look for existing solutions before writing a
custom one.
11.Even if it is not a project requirement,
building an accessible site is better.
12.Themes should be built on a standard starter
theme (Zen, Omega, Fusion, etc.)
13.Block visibility addresses should be URL
aliases rather than node numbers.
14.Links, including menus, should use relative
URLs.
15.Given that most sites will be in a multi-site
set up, contributed modules should reside in sites/site-name/modules and files in sites/site-name/files.

block names:
  views-name:
function-name
Code