[support] Documents Location

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Wed Sep 26 18:08:06 UTC 2012

Just reading the INSTALL.TXT file for Drupal 7.x , and it
says this:

7. Revoke documentation file permissions (optional).

Some administrators suggest making the documentation files,
especially CHANGELOG.txt, non-readable so that the exact
version of Drupal you are running is slightly more difficult
to determine. If you wish to implement this optional
security measure, from a Unix/Linux command line you can use
the following command:

   chmod a-r CHANGELOG.txt

Note that the example only affects CHANGELOG.txt. To
completely hide all documentation files from public view,
repeat this command for each of the Drupal documentation
files in the installation directory, substituting the
name of each file for CHANGELOG.txt in the example.

For more information on setting file permissions, see

"Modifying Linux, Unix, and Mac file permissions"
(http://drupal.org/node/202483)
  or
  "Modifying Windows file permissions"
(http://drupal.org/node/202491)

in the Drupal.org online documentation.

Surely, would it not be smarter and cleaner to just move all
the .txt files to a separate directory called 'docs', and
then add a robot.txt exclusion rule to stop these from being
indexed by search engines?

I always unpack to a /Downloads/app-name/version/ directory,
and unpack from there, and then copy only the files I want
to the Apache DocumentRoot subdirectory.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net