[support] Fed up with Drupal 7 ... Desperately.....modules.etc

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Mon Apr 8 16:17:16 UTC 2013

Roger,

I would not expect any increase in total memory to affect the problem at all, since you're still capping php at 128M per page process.  The only place where overall memory comes into play is when you have lots of people hitting pages that consume lots of memory.

I'd recommend getting back to trying to figure out why you are getting the errors that are bothering you.

I'm running views, panels etc on sites with 96M memory setting and create content types without trouble all the time, so I think you might want to find out what kind of problem you have.

I'd download the devel module if you haven't already.  In the devel settings page you can enable "display memory usage". Next you can start disabling modules and switching themes to see if you can identify which module or theme is causing you the most trouble. Try visiting different pages to find out more.

For example, when I enabled the panels module, and views module, the memory consumption went up from a peak of 2.5 to a peak of 6.5 on the modules page, but when visiting the front page of my site, it was only at 3.0.

Remember that the PHP Memory limit is about MAX consumption and not typical consumption, so increasing its value does not necessarily mean that you are opening up your site for problems at load.  In older versions of drupal we used to have to worry about visiting the modules page, which would load every module (regardless of whether installed), but the memory consumption for all the other pages wasn't affected.  The memory limit is just a break so that you don't have a runaway process consuming all memory so that you can't even debug it.

It seems to me that you may have a module or theme with a memory leak, and that your memory consumption is not that of a typical drupal install. I'd be working hard to verify this.

That is why many continue to ask for your module list.  They're trying to figure out if you've got any non-standard modules that might have a leak or performance problem.

Hopefully that helps, (I fear we've gotten a bit off topic as we've started debating the age old question of when it's cheaper just to throw hardware resources at the problem or spend manpower resources trying to optimize).