[support] images not showing

John Summerfield summer at js.id.au
Thu Apr 18 06:31:28 UTC 2013

On 18/04/13 00:34, Pia Oliver wrote:
> I am adding some stuff, including Ubercart, to a site and have set it
> up as a dev site at Hostgator. As soon as it's ready it will become
> the "real live" site.
>
> One issue I cannot figure out is why my images are not showing? I
> need some help please.
>
> The temp URL is "http://50.22.80.44/~pia/" to the site and the links
> in the top menu work but not the bottom menu, nor do any of the, or
> very few, of the images show. In .htaccess I have tried to uncomment
> "RewriteBase" in several different ways but nothing helps. In
> "settings.php" I have " $base_url = 'http://50.22.80.44/~pia';" and
> have tried with this commented out also; no difference.
>
> I  cannot find any other place where there is a system wide path or
> setting? I have experimented with permission settings on the
> "default" folder as well as the "settings.php" file; the settings.php
> is 0000 and it will  not take any other. the "default" folder is
> currently 744 ...
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks,
>
> Pia

I can see some images, but probably not user images - I see no cakes.

The side behaves very oddly. I have a dual-monitor setup here, two HP
24" screens, one in portrait orientation and the other landscape.

Most of my work is on the vertical screen. At my default size, I got
just a bit of the "heaven sent" image on either size, menus top and
bottom, a location panel on viewer's left, inside but beside the heaven
sent image.

I narrowed the window and the side images vanished, the location data
moved to a bigger panel on my right and lost its location and hours
headers. The top menu was redrawn on my left.

Now, Pia, you are allowed to blush.

The top menus work because they are relative to ~pia/. For example,
http://50.22.80.44/~pia/?q=our-menu

The bottom menus don't work because they are absolute. For example,
http://50.22.80.44/our-menu

It's that easy:-)

btw That facebook link wanders around depending on the width of the
display too. If you have an Android tablet (I am using an ASUS TF300T
with Android 4.2 and the chrome browser), you can see the problem. And
the tabled shows little markers where the images should be.

I suspect Hostgator is doing its nasty 404 recovery and confusing the
matter.

Does this look like a valid location for an image? It looks odd to me:
http://50.22.80.44/~pia/sites/default/files/styles/fullsize_slider_front/public/front-slider-images/FrontSliderChileCake.jpg?itok=sWYey6Go