[support] Memory error

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sun Apr 21 23:16:35 UTC 2013

On 04/21/2013 10:00 PM, support-request at drupal.org wrote:

> I'm getting this error, and it doesn't make sense to me:
>
> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 101 bytes) in/home/wap/public_html/includes/database/query.inc on line 1856
>
> Its trying to allocate only 101 bytes. I get similar errors when I try to enable a module. I have the site also running locally, and get no error. What I have to do is make all changes on my local site, then upload the database to my remote site. It's a pain.
>
> What should I look for to fix this?
>
> Bill

Bill Thank you.
I won't go into details, it's all in the list and on the LUV forum. I
have been asking about this error message for weeks now and there are
suggestions but no resolution.
It seems to be caused by drupal demanding more memory than PHP allows.
Which could mean that php is not flexible enough to cope with high demand.
It sometimes can be resolved in /sites/default/settings.php by adding
init_set('memory_limit','128M') but this will not stop the error
permanently.
I have seen faulty modules and number of modules blamed, etc. Basically
it all comes down to either a PHP 5 update is faulty or Drupal, or some
3rd party required module is faulty.
It may be resolved by making entries in php.ini and .htaccess but this
also does not permanently fix a problem which should not exist.
Roger