[support] Unable to send e-mail. Contact the site administrator if the problem persists

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Mon Dec 16 23:02:09 UTC 2013

* Jamie Holly <hovercrafter at earthlink.net> [131215 07:11]:

> What's your email address set in the E-Mail address field on
> Administration > Configuration > System > Site information?
>
>  From your log, the problem is obvious. You are attempting to send an
> email with a return address that doesn't exist. Postfix is set to verify
> sender, so before it accepts an email, it's going to ask the server
> handling the return address if that user actually exists. If it doesn't
> then it's going to send a 550 error. If you have the EMail address in
> Drupal set to something other than www at tj49.com, then you got a server
> problem going on, preventing PHP from setting the return address. If
> you're running in safe_mode, that can be the culprit. If not, then you
> can try adding this to your settings.php:
>
> ini('sendmail_path', '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -f tim at akwebsoft.com');
  I am currently even happier and even more confused: consider the
  instructions above. Last night, I could have sworn that I did
  indeed put
  ini('sendmail_path', '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -f tim at akwebsoft.com');
  in my settings.php

  but I find today that if I put the ini() function call in
  settings.php, I get a blank screen when I reload the site - no
  content whatsoever, and it doesn't seem to matter at
  what position the ini() call is in settings.php
  ... so the ini() call is removed.

  Additionally
  -----------
  1)further research indicates that the proper settings in php.ini
    should be
    sendmail_path = "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -ftim at tj49.com"
    see http://hostmonsterforums.com/archive/index.php/t-9832.html
	(no space between the -f argument and the email address)

  2)Now I can send email through a non-drupal mail() call

  3)Following the instructions at
    http://hostmonsterforums.com/archive/index.php/t-9832.html
    I called the hostmonster helpdesk and with their guidance,
	I used cPanel to upgrade to PHP 5.4 (was set to PHP 5.2) and
	elected to generate a php.ini file to which I added
    sendmail_path = "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -ftim at tj49.com"

  It's too early to be entirely certain, but I think I'm moving to a
  fix and I hope what I'm writing here can help others.

  Now, I know that Jamie is as busy as sheep dog helping us noobs,
  but maybe he call tell me why

  ini('sendmail_path', '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -f tim at akwebsoft.com');
  Or should it be
  ini('sendmail_path', '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -ftim at akwebsoft.com'); ## ??
  in settings.php would cause the site to choke

  Yet, I note that the same code as the bottom line of index.php
  does not cause the site to choke (load blank content).

  So I still could use some clarification on the proper use of
  ini(), and am doing my own research ..

  Aren't we having fun?
--
Tim